Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Guest speaker at a Feb. writer's conference—so what to sew?

I'm really excited because yesterday I was asked to be a panelist at a writer's conference early next year. Hundreds of other writers will be there, as well as guest publishers and literary agents. Having attended these things before, I know that they are really, really fun and after another year of working alone, (especially with the husband in hospital for more than six months) it's a bit of a jolt to be surrounded by other mole-like authors blinking into the glare of real social interaction that for once involves actual human beings you didn't make up.

Pretty scary for some of us. You may have noticed that most of my social activity involves me sitting in a safe seat and watching other people play music, a fairly unthreatening excursion for somebody who hides in her head for years on end. I'm not so good when the tables are turned.

So, one wants to look good, (or at least clean and sane. Help!)

You'll notice I didn't ask, "What should I wear?" or even, maybe, "What should I say?" because it goes without saying, right, that with a lead time of months before I have to appear at a writers' conference, I'm only thinking about what I should sew.

I know—sick.

8 comments:

  1. OMG - Not sick at all! I think all sewists immediately dive for their fabric and pattern stash when confronted with an upcoming event that they want to look good for!

    As for looking "clean and sane", as someone whose job requires me to organize panel discussion and lectures with university faculty, IMHO as long as you don't show up looking like a crazy cat lady (and by that I mean with struck-by-lightning hair and cat hair all over your clothing) you are ahead of the curve. If on the day of the event, you look in the mirror and discover that you ARE in fact a crazy cat lady, just calmly buy yourself a comb and a lint roller, use both, and you will still be ahead of the curve. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clio, you make me laugh out loud. I can't imagine why I should be so nervous, but I will remember to keep my cat Frisbee off my lap and do something with my hair for the big weekend. Clio, what should I sew?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I had a good laugh at the end, because as I was reading, I was thinking, "I wonder what she's going to sew!!" I'm sure it's going to be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny! Would your drop dead gorgeous kimono work? Or is it too "arty" (read eccentric)? You have a nice stack of blouses too. Then again, this is an excuse to make something brand new. I'll look forward to seeing what you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok...my two cents: A great knit dress that coordinates with a jacket or nice cardi you already have. That way, no matter what the temperature is in the conference hall (and they can be arctic), you are covered. You can wear it with boots, shoes, whatever. If you can find a pattern with a bit of a shape, that's even better. Ponte knit travels and 'sits' well. And try to make it in a color other than black. There's enough black around...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Glad I amuse. Hmm, I like Karin's suggestion. A kimono or kimono inspired jacket seems to be your style and could be a very polished statement piece. You work in a creative profession; a merging of artsy and professional could really work well. I also like Helene's suggestions of using color and maybe a knit.

    If it were me, I'd probably make a sheath dress in a bold or oversize print (conservative cut/artsy fabric) or a statement/artsy jacket to wear over a more simple ensemble. If I went with a knit dress, I'd be sure to have some eye catching accessories. I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, these are good ideas. Here I was trying to restyle my day wardrobe (a.k.a. my bathrobe) and you've got me thinking out of the box!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always go for dresses. There are some great ones in the current Burda (the October issue I think? Mine always arrives very late...anyway the one you reviewed recently. Anyway it sounds exciting and a bit scary - I hope you have a great time!

    ReplyDelete