Wednesday 6 October 2021

Is Burda going bankrupt? Or just bankrupt of ideas? They're pushing the limit of reselling us old patterns. As far as I'm concerned, sell your shares now...

Don't get me wrong. I love Burda, which replaced Vogue Patterns in my sewing room years ago, (when I began to find Vogue patterns were not only overpriced, especially when mailed from the US to Europe, but just a little...over-designed and bordering on weird.)

Clearly, my happy, youthful days of sewing upmarket classics from Ralph Lauren, Yves St-Laurent and Donna Karan from good old Vogue Designer patterns was never to return. So I collected and then began to subscribe to Burda. I've now got all the issues going back to late 2008. Every one.

And really, I'm worrying about Burda's commercial viability, as they seem to be reducing the number of designs each month and recycling old patterns among those offerings with hardly an apology. I've randomly collected here some of the very recent examples where I've caught Burda's team 'taking our money for old rope,' as the sad saying goes.

Coming up for the November issue, for example, is the new winter coat!!! oh oh...
Do I mean the old trenchcoat here, from October 2015, with the only difference being the gathered sleeve hem?
Howbout the dress they sold me in the September 2021 issue, which looks just like a rehab with longer sleeves of a dress I bought from them in April 2014, below?


But wait, what about the stylish trenchcoat they offered last month?

Oh, oh, here it is looking pretty familiar, from my back issue of November 2012. The only change was in the storm flap at the back.
But surely this is new? That natty October 2021 jacket?

Nope, it's already on my shelf in the November 2011 issue but resized. Gee, thanks, Burda.

And that dress they served up for this month in October 2021's issue? Well, you can see its little brother to the left here, which I already purchased in the issue of August 2009.



Now I'm not going to blame them is their pencil skirt of every season resembles its cousins from years past. Or a classic blouson jacket looks like its elder brother. There's only so many ways you can design a gathered or pleated skirt.
But really. Is there anyone home at Burda? Anyone who might see this post and rethink their rehash policy? I don't have many followers for this blog and I feel like I'm screaming my protest into the void. The magazine seems to have a new editor, a man who might think he's part of a streamlining team, but in reality he might be the costcutting new broom who's taking us for mugs before he merges Burda into some conglomerate for selling off.






 

8 comments:

  1. I have been noticing this as well and am currently drafting my own blog post about it. For sure I thought that maybe a few months might be forgivable due to the pandemic, but, honestly, I'm pretty sure you can do a lot of work from anywhere now and at this point the re-use of designs is just frustrating and kind of sad. I'm willing to give them another year to get it together, but I'm turning my eye towards the Patrones digital magazine app for sewing inspiration at this point...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A mí particularmente también me tiene muy decepcionada, comparando la revista actual con las que tengo de los años 70s 80s y 90s no se parece en nada, NOS TOMAN EL PELO, pocos patrones versionados hasta el infinito SEÑORES ESO YA LO HACEMOS NOSOTRAS SIN QUE USTEDES TENGAN LA DESFACHATED DE PUBLICARLOS COMO OTRO MAS.
    Suelo ver en Youtube el adelanto de la edición del mes siguiente y tan solo compro 1, 2 ó 3 revistas al año o ninguna.
    Dicho todo ésto estoy totalmente de acuerdo contigo y entiendo tu enfado. BESICOS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve noticed it too, but since I don’t have many of the previous issues it hasn’t really doubled up on the patterns I own yet. Still, it’s a bit sneaky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I subscribed to Burda from 2008 - 2013...and quit because it seemed to me they were recycling designs with only slight changes then. But, lawdy, a couple of those aren't even changed up. That is sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't ever had a subscription but I was given maybe 30 Burda of a little while ago and there are many repeats there. I keep seeing the same patterns from years ago in the new ones I get from the library. It is disappointing and I'm glad I don't have a subscription. I do like Ottobre as every article of clothing is of the patterns in the magazine which isn't the case with Burda and that bugs me a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post but I was wondering if you could write a little more on this subject? I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Thanks in advance! Best sculpting machine

    ReplyDelete
  7. An impressive share, I recently with all this onto a colleague who had previously been doing little analysis about this. And that he actually bought me breakfast simply because I ran across it for him.. smile. So ok, i’ll reword that: Thnx with the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending any time to talk about this, I believe strongly about it and enjoy reading more about this topic. If you can, as you grow expertise, might you mind updating your blog with an increase of details? It can be extremely ideal for me. Huge thumb up due to this short article! web address

    ReplyDelete
  8. Echt tolle Seite. Rubbish bin eigentlich nur per Zufall hier gelandet, aber ich bin jetzt schon complete von der tremendous Seite beeindruckt. Gratuliere dazu!! Viel Erfolg noch durch der sehr guten Home-page mein Freund. cnc milling

    ReplyDelete