Monday 2 June 2014

Finishing Projects...the Audrey Hepburn Skirt 05-2012-106B

One month ended up as two in order to make progress:

1. Two 'Japanese' patchwork duvet covers from old shirts, kimonos, pyjamas are done, see blog post below.

2. The Burda safari vest-blouse from the recycled chinos, photo in a previous below, below.

3. The baby sweater only waiting for the right buttons, (now 70% chance of a girl!) see blog post below.

4. A new white linen pencil skirt to resuscitate my civil-wedding Dior skirt suit, after downsizing the late-80's shoulder pads in the jacket, ready to cut out. Photos to come.

5. A two-year-old project, the Audrey Hepburn-Roman Holiday skirt from Burda, 05-2012-106B. Audrey Hepburn Roman Holiday Skirt Original Post  I didn't like it at first because it seemed that the heavy linen skirt combined with the IKEA 'Ditta" cotton lining was too much weight, but I finally wore it through a couple of rainy summer days and realized that it is perfect when you want to look summery but actually need to be protected from near-winter Swiss May temperatures. There is a lot of fabric in that baby and if I made it again, I'd definitely choose lighter weight materials, but it's not quite the wadder I feared. I wore it with a black belt, but for purposes of illustration here, left the belt off. I kept all the buttons inside the placket instead of leaving three up top on the outside. I only realized this booboo when I saw another nice version on Pattern Review. But since I'm wearing a belt over it, maybe it's best that the buttons are concealed.


 I feel like leaving the crafts to one side for a while, unless something really grabs me. Still looking for the right affordable fabric for that dream jumpsuit.

4 comments:

  1. I saw that skirt on Pattern review too and was prompted to look at the pattern again. I like your version.
    -Sewingelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved that skirt in the magazine. What a treat to see it made up! It looks great on you. Think someone 5'2" could get away with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At 5'2" I might trim the width of every one of these gores back a shade, so that your proportions end up producing the same effect without overwhelming you. This could be done simply by sewing the skirt and estimating how much deeper your seams should be to draw it in a bit. As it is, I wouldn't opt for the other Burda version, which is the maxi skirt, which looked a little draggy to me in the magazine photo. Show us your results!
      Happy sewing!

      Delete
  3. Great looking skirt. I know it feels good to finally complete it. I have a few UFO's myself.

    ReplyDelete